The Federation of Independent Veterinary Practices (FIVP) represents the interests and promotes the values of independent veterinary practices. We are a not-for-profit organisation that offers membership to independent veterinary practices across the UK, as well as free, individual membership to veterinary professionals.
FIVP was founded in 2016 by a passionate team who wanted an association that can represent and support independent veterinary practices nationally. With the vast expansion of corporate companies, we want to cement the future of independents and create a community where practices can all network and develop together.
We support business owners and entrepreneurs in finding an independent practice to buy, and vice-versa with selling. If you are looking to buy or sell a practice, please visit the practice ownership section. FIVP also assists a variety of different veterinary professionals in finding their career in an independent veterinary practice. If you are looking for a job, then let us know by visiting the careers section.
Being a member offers a variety of opportunities to help develop and support your business. Our assortment of member benefits include:
- Community – connect with other independent veterinary practices to support, share and grow together.
- Recruitment – we will promote your business and market any job vacancies you have by designing adverts and placing on various social media and veterinary related websites. We also have a database of vets/RVNs seeking employment specifically in an independent practice which we would refer to for any potential applicants.
- Undergraduates – we assist students with finding EMS placements and new graduate positions with our members, potentially becoming permanent employees in the future.
- Representation at careers days – FIVP attends all major university careers days where we promote the benefits of working in an independent practice, offer advice to vets/RVNs of the future and help them formulate their career paths.
- Representation at congresses – FIVP attends large veterinary exhibitions such as BSAVA, LVS and a variety of other congresses every year in which we promote not only FIVP and its members, but also the importance of supporting independent practices.
- Listing – FIVP has its own, separate website designed specifically for the general public to find independent veterinary practices nearby. Members will have a priority listing on independentvets.co.uk and will, therefore, appear first in any searches in their area.
- Subscriptions – members will receive two regular publications. Veterinary Practice Today, a CPD journal for employees in practice, and PetFocus, a magazine designed for your clients that can be placed in your waiting rooms.
- News & updates – practice team members will receive logins to vetcommunity.com, a veterinary news and CPD website. The practice will also receive regular FIVP newsletters, articles and promotions.
Membership is practice-based and open to all independent veterinary practices in the UK. We consider an independent practice to be one in which the owners work within the practice and play a significant role in its day-to-day activities.